Washington Student Achievement Council

Undocumented students and others can get state financial aid with the WASFA

Washington offers the Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA) for people who aren’t eligible to file for federal financial aid, including undocumented students. Financial aid is money that can help you pay for more education after high school. Complete the WASFA to see if you are eligible. 

Important info about the WASFA and its users:

  • Learn more and apply online at wsac.wa.gov/WASFA.
  • Spanish on application: Instructions and form fields on the WASFA application are now written in both English and Spanish.
  • State residency requirements now make it easier to get in-state tuition and state financial aid, making college or job training cost less. Many people who didn’t qualify before now do.

The WASFA is an application for state and institutional financial aid only. The WASFA is for people who are undocumented or who do not qualify for federal financial aid because of their immigration status, and can be used in limited circumstances by others who cannot or choose not to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You must meet state residency and program requirements to qualify.

Not sure whether you should use the FAFSA or the WASFA? Complete the WASFA questionnaire.

There are affordable college and training options for everyone, including students who are immigrants, are undocumented, or have DACA status. The first, best step is to apply for financial aid.