Washington Student Achievement Council

Colleges May Adjust Financial Aid Based on Change in Circumstances

If someone in your family has lost a job or is working less, colleges may be able to provide more financial aid.

Colleges may adjust financial information on a FAFSA or WASFA. Colleges typically consider the following circumstances when determining whether to adjust financial info:

  • You or your parent(s) lost a job and are now unemployed.
  • Your household income has changed significantly, or you've experienced a loss of benefits, such as child support.
  • Someone in your household has to pay unusual medical or dental bills not covered by insurance.

You will have to provide documentation to your college. Requirements vary by institution. You may be asked to complete a form, submit a formal letter, or otherwise verify how your financial aid eligibility has changed. Contact the financial aid office at your college for instructions.

If you’ve already completed a FAFSA or WASFA, talk to the financial aid office about your situation.

If you haven’t applied for financial aid, it’s not too late. Submit your application, then follow up with the college to discuss changes, if necessary.

Where to get help:

  • The financial aid office at the college you plan to attend is the best resource to answer questions based on your specific circumstances.
  • SwiftStudent is a free digital tool for college students to learn about the financial aid appeals process.
  • Learn more about financial aid appeals on the WSAC website.